Sunday, September 26, 2010

Cloth Diapers

Miles wears cloth diapers. A few months ago, a friend asked why we chose to do cloth. In typical fashion, I drew a blank, even though there were many reasons that I decided to do cloth when I made the decision. Think on my feet? Not so much. I'd like to answer that question for the blogosphere, except Miles has worn cloth diapers pretty much exclusively (except for a quick trip to Fresno in June) for the last eight months, so I can't say how cloth diapers stack up to disposables, which would be helpful opinionation.

I do have a strong preference for cloth diapers for young, exclusively breastfed babies. We started Miles on cloth right when he turned one month. Pre-cloth he had blow outs every day. Nasty and a pain and stains. No bueno. After the switch, no blowouts. Plus, at this stage it is super easy to wash the diapers. Also, disposable diapers stink! No offense to all of you sposies users. But seriously, sposies have a strong chemically smell that I hate. Cloth diapers don't smell like anything until befragranced by the little one. I admit that I have an abnormally strong sense of smell, probably the result of an abnormally large schnaz, so the aversion to the diaper smell may be unique to me, and I only used normal disposables, not any green varieties, so I can't speak to those. Cloth are also cheaper, especially since I got a sweet deal on the ones we used when he was little, and they are still in great shape so I'll probably be able to use them for two more kids. For all of these reasons, cds are the undisputed winners for the first six months.

Once babes start on solids, things become a little more complicated. I admit that I still have a bias towards cloth, but Miles and I are leaving for a grand adventure on Tuesday to Utah and then Mexico. We'll be gone almost two weeks and he will be wearing disposable diapers for that time. When we get home, I will have a more informed opinion to post about.

2 comments:

  1. you need to invest in some gdiaper covers or just the flushable/compostable inserts to use in your flips for vacation. then you don't have to smell that stinky sposie smell. yuck. also, when the solid food = solid poops, then you just need imse vimse flushable rice paper liners. the poop just plops right in the toilet and no stains. so fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh ya, and with your next baby you def need to buy some newborn cloth. it's so stinkin cute and then you don't have to deal with blowouts, even in the beginning. we LOVED ours w lincoln! we have newborn bagshot row bamboo dipes, kissaluvs, swaddlebees, mutts, and some others.

    ReplyDelete